The Department of Mathematics, one of the oldest departments of Nirmalagiri College has been functioning since 1964. The Department was started with First Group at the Intermediate level under the leadership of Prof. C.C. Krishnan. Subsequently Prof. P.V. Sadanandan has joined as HoD and the Under Graduate course in Mathematics was started in 1967. The pioneers of this department include excellent teachers like Prof. A.S. Scariya, Prof. M. A. Chandy and Prof. K. J Joseph. Every year a good number of research papers are arriving from the department in international and national journals. Hundreds of our alumni are serving as University/College Professors, Scientists, Research Scholars, Legislative Body Members, Civil Service Officers, Top Government/Company Officials, Bank Officials and, Higher Secondary and Secondary School Teachers.
- Well equipped department library with a collection of more than 2400 books.
- The Department holds a high ranking among the colleges of Kannur University with regard to academic results and placement. Department has highest number of A grades in the university examinations and has the highest placement rate in the university.
- 100% staff with Ph.D degree and has a Research Guide
- Two teachers of the department are Board of Studies members.
- Jayakanth C.V. (IRS), 2007-2010 Batch secured 753rd rank in the All India Civil Service Examination 2015.
- Department is giving personal care to students.
- Teachers of the department are actively involved in research and have a good number of publications.
- Department provides training for attending placement programmes.
- Department provides coaching for attending entrance for PG courses.
- Dr. Sabu Sebastian is a reviewer of 6 international journals.
- In 2015, Abhinand K. and Agina K. Balan secured 3rd prize in state level Statistics Quiz competition conducted by Old Students Forum, Department of Statistics, CUSAT.