|Dr. Nygil Thomas
Department of Chemistry
Current Professional status
- Assistant Professor at Nirmalagiri College, Nirmalagiri, Kannur
- Research Guide, Research Centre, Department of Chemistry, Nirmalagiri College, Kannur University
Post Doctoral Research Experience
- Post Doctoral Research Fellow at Fritz-Haber-Institut der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, Berlin, Germany from February 2012 to September 2013-Professor: Robert Schlögl, Group Leader: Malte Behrens
Doctoral Research Experience
- Doctor of Philosophy 2007 – 2012, Supervisor: Dr. Michael Rajamathi, St. Joseph’s College, Bangalore-Thesis Title: “Intercalation Chemistry of Anionic Clays: Selective Intercalation and Intracrystalline Reactions at the Interlayer”
- Master of Science (Chemistry) 2003 – 2005 St. Joseph’s College, Bangalore
- Bachelor of Science (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics) 2000 – 2003 Christ College, Bangalore
- Post Doctoral Research Fellowship from Max Plank Society, Berlin.
- Best Poster Award, 2ndInternational Symposium on Chemistry for Energy Conversion Storage January 27th to 30th, 2013, Berlin
- Travel Grant (MRS Meeting from November 28th to 2nd of December, 2011, Boston, USA) from Department of Science and Technology and Council of Scientific & Industrial Research, Government of India, 2011.
- Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) from Council of Scientific & Industrial Research,Government of India, 2010.
- Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) from Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi, 2007.
- Best performer award for the contribution of ‘Human Insulin Drug Project’ from Biocon Ltd (2007).
- Second position, St. Joseph’s College, Bangalore for MSc Chemistry (2003-2005).
- Third position, Christ College, Bangalore for BSc Chemistry (2000-2003).
- Proficiency prize in the year 2000-2001 and 2002-2003 from Christ College.
Areas of Academic Interest
- Heterogeneous catalysis, Nano materials, Electro Chemistry, Layered solids, Intercalation Chemistry, Water Purification, Magnetic Materials, Chemical Energy Conversion, Solution combustion synthesis
Teaching Experience (PG and UG)
Period: September 2013 to till Date
Designation : Assistant Professor
- Worked in the analytical department of Biocon Pvt Ltd, a leading pharmaceutical company during the period 2005-2007.
Publications in International Journals
- N Thomas, P.V. Jithin, V.D. Sudheesh, V, Sebastian, “Magnetic and dielectric properties of magnesium substituted cobalt ferrite samples synthesized via one step calcination free solution combustion method” Accepted Ceramics International (Impact Factor : 2.758)
- Lunkenbein, F. Girgsdies, T. Kandemir, N Thomas, M. Behrens, R. Schlögl, and E. Frei “Bridging the Time Gap: A Copper/Zinc Oxide/Aluminum Oxide Catalyst for Methanol Synthesis Studied under Industrially Relevant Conditions and Time Scales” Angewandte Chemie Communications, 2016,55, 12708–12712 (Impact Factor : 11.7)
- VJithin, P. K Baghya, N Roona, A. Thomas, N. Thomas, Sudheesh V.D, V. Sebastian, N. Lakshmi “Synthesis and characterization of CoxNi1-xFe2O4 samples by solution combustion method using glycine as fuel. Accepted Physica Status Solidi C: Current Topics in Solid State Physics, 2016 (Impact Factor : Awaited)
- J Schumann, A Tarasov, N Thomas, Robert Schlögl, Malte Behrens, “Cu,Zn-based catalysts for methanol synthesis: On the effect of calcination conditions and the part of residual carbonates”. Applied Catalysis A: General, 2016, 516, 117-126. (Impact Factor : 4.012)
- H Nabipour, M Hosaini Sadr, N Thomas, “Synthesis, controlled release and antibacterial studies of nalidixic acid-zinc hydroxide nitrate nanocomposites”. New J Chem., 2016, 40 (1), 238-244. (Impact Factor : 3.277)
- J Schumann, M. Eichelbaum, T. Lunkenbein, Thomas, M C Alvarez-Galvan, R Schlögl, M. Behrens, “Promoting Strong Metal Support Interaction: Doping ZnO for Enhanced Activity of Cu/ZnO: M (M= Al, Ga, Mg) Catalysts” ACS Catalysis, 2015, 5 (6), 3260–3270. (Impact Factor : 9.307)
- Studt, M. Behrens, E. L. Kunkes, N. Thomas, S. Zander, A Tarasov, J Schumann, E. Frei, J. B. Varley, F. Abild-Pedersen, J. K. Nørskov, R. Schlögl, “The Mechanism of CO and CO2 Hydrogenation to Methanol over Cu-Based Catalysts, ChemCatChem, 2015, 7, 1105-1111.(Cover Page Article). (Impact Factor : 4.724)
- H Nabipour, M Hosaini Sadr, N Thomas, “Synthesis, characterisation and sustained release properties of layered zinc hydroxide intercalated with amoxicillin trihydrate”Journal of Experimental Nanoscience, 2015, 10, 1269-1284. (Impact Factor : 0.832)
- Schumann, T. Lunkenbein,A. Tarasov, N. Thomas, R. Schlögl, M Behrens, “Synthesis and characterisation of a highly active Cu/ZnO:Al benchmark catalyst; ChemCatChem, 2014, 6, 2889.(Impact Factor : 4.724)
- A Tarasov, J. Schumann, F. Girgsdies, Thomas, M Behrens, “Thermokinetic investigation of binary Cu/Zn hydroxycarbonates as precursors for Cu/ZnO catalysts”, ThermochimicaActa,2014, 591, 1.(Impact Factor : 1.932)
- V.Sathisha, B. E. Kumara Swamy, B. N. Chandrashekar, N. Thomas, B. Eswarappa, “Selective determination of dopamine in presence of ascorbic acid and uric acid at hydroxy double salt/surfactant film modified carbon paste electrode”, J ElectroanalChem, 2012, 674, 57. (Impact Factor : 2.822)
- Thomas, “Mechanochemical synthesis of layered hydroxy salts” Mater Res Bull. 2012, 47, 3568. (Impact Factor : 2.435)
- Thomas, “Synthesis of 3R1 and 1H polytypes of sulfate-intercalated in layered double hydroxides (LDHs) by post intracrystalline oxidation and simultaneous intercalation-oxidation of intracrystalline oxidation”. Cryst. Growth Des. 2012,12, 1378. (Impact Factor : 4.425)
- Thomas, M. Rajamathi, “High selectivity in anion exchange reactions of anionic clay, cobalt hydroxy nitrate”. J Mater Chem. 2011, 21, 18077. (Impact Factor : 6.325)
- Thomas, M. Rajamathi, “Near 100% selectivity in anion exchange reactions of layered zinc hydroxy nitrate”. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 2011, 362, 493. (Impact Factor : 2.435)
- Thomas, M. Rajamathi, “Intracrystalline oxidation of thiosulfate intercalated layered double hydroxides” Langmuir 2009, 25, 2212. (Impact Factor : 3.993)
- Thomas, G. Pradeep, M. Rajamathi, “Synthesis and intracrystallineoxidation of nitrite intercalated LDHS”, J. Solid State Chem. 2009, 182, 592. (Impact Factor : 2.265)
Total Impact factor: 68
Papers presented in International Symposia
- Nygil Thomas, Michael Rajamathi, “Synthesis and Intracrystalline Oxidation of Nitrite-intercalated Layered Double Hydroxides”, International Workshop on Advanced Materials – IWAM, 22–24 February, 2009, Ras Al Khaima, UAE.
- Nygil Thomas, Michael. Rajamathi, “Synthesis and Intracrystalline Oxidation of Thiosulfate-intercalated Layered Double Hydroxides”, 5th International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies – ICMAT&IUMRS-ICA, 2009, SINGAPORE.
- Nygil Thomas, Michael. Rajamathi, “Synthesis and Intracrystalline Oxidation of Inorganic anions intercalated Layered Double Hydroxides”, International Conference on Current Trends in Chemistry and Biochemistry ICCTCB, 2009, Bangalore, INDIA.
- Nygil Thomas, Michael. Rajamathi, “Near 100% selectivity in anion exchange reactions of layered zinc hydroxy nitrate”, MRS Meeting from November 28th to 2nd of December, 2011, Boston, USA.
- Nygil Thomas, Michael. Rajamathi,National Conference on Chemistry – Challenges and Opportunities at St. Joseph’s College, 16th to 18th February, 2012, Bangalore, INDIA.
- Tarasov, Nygil Thomas, J. Neuendorf, M. Behrens, Thermokinetic study of Cu/Zn hydroxycarbonates as catalyst precursors for methanol synthesis, NETZSCHHITEMP 2012, 11th -13th September, 2012, Munich, GERMANY.
- Nygil Thomas, Edward Kunkes, Stefan Zander, Robert Schlögl, Malte Behrens Compositional Studies and Determination of Carbon Source for Methanol Synthesis on Zn-Containing and Zn-free Cu Catalysts with a 13CO2/12CO/H2 Mixture, 2nd International Symposium on Chemistry for Energy Conversion Storage January 27th to 30th , 2013, Berlin, GERMANY(Best Poster Award).
- Nygil Thomas, Edward Kunkes, Stefan Zander, Robert Schlögl, Malte Behrens,Compositional Studies and Determination of Carbon Source for Methanol Synthesis on Zn-Containing and Zn-free Cu Catalysts with a 13CO2/12CO/H2 Mixture, 46. JahrestreffenDeutscherKatalytiker, 13th to 15th of March, 2013, Weimar, GERMANY.
- Julia Schumann, Nygil Thomas, Stefanie Kühl, Robert Schlögl, Malte Behrens, The influence of calcination temperature on catalysts derived from a Cu,Zn,Al-hydrotalcite-like precursor, 46, JahrestreffenDeutscherKatalytiker, 13th to 15th of March, 2013, Weimar, GERMANY.
- Nygil Thomas, Malte Behrens, SevilayCosgun, Alexander Schmidt, Martin Lerch, Studies on oxidation state, polymorphism, particle size and shape of Nano structured Manganese Oxide species in Mn doped Tantalum-Oxide-Nitride semiconductor materials for efficient photocatalytic water splitting, MRS Meeting at San Francisco, 1st to 6th of April 2013, USA.
- Stefan Zander, Julia Schumann, Nygil Thomas, AndreyTarasov, Malte Behrens, Cu/ZnO Catalyst Development for CO2 Hydrogenation to Methanolconference Materials for Energy in May 2013, Karlsruhe, GERMANY.
- Julia Schumann, Nygil Thomas, AndreyTarasov, Stefan Zander, Robert Schlögl, Malte Behrens, Catalyzing Sustainable Fuel Production: Development of Cu-based Catalysts for the Hydrogenation of CO2 to Methanol. ACS Fall Meeting, September 8-12, 2013, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.
- Julia Schumann, AndreyTarasov,Nygil Thomas, Robert Schlögl, Malte Behrens, The influence of calcination parameters on Cu catalysts derived from mixed Cu,Zn hydroxyl-carbonate precursors, 15thJCF-Fruhjahrssymposium, March 6th to 9th Berlin, 2013, GERMANY.
- Nygil Thomas, Edward Kunkes, Stefan Zander, Robert Schlögl, Malte Behrens “Determination of Carbon source for Methanol Synthesis on Zn-Containing and Zn-free Cu Catalysts with a 13CO2/12CO/H2 Mixture”,11th European Congress on Catalysis – EuropaCat-XI, September 1st-6th, 2013, Lyon, FRANCE.
- Julia Schumann, AndreyTarasov, Nygil Thomas, Robert Schlögl, M. Behrens, “How the calcination procedure influences Cu catalysts derived from mixed Cu,Znhydroxy-carbonate precursors”11th European Congress on Catalysis – EuropaCat-XI, September 1st-6th, 2013, Lyon, FRANCE.
- Julia Schumann, Maik Eichelbaum, Nygil Thomas, Robert Schlögl, Malte Behrens “Investigating the effect of different promoters in doped ZnO supports on Cu/ZnO catalysts for methanol synthesis” 47. JahrestreffenDeutscherKatalytiker 12th–14th March 2014, Weimar, GERMANY.
- Julia Schumann, MaikEichelbaum, AndreyTarasov, Nygil Thomas, Thomas Lunkenbein,Malte Behrens, Robert Schlögl, Elias Frei “The role of the Al promoter on Cu/ZnO based catalysts for CO2 conversion reactions” JahrestreffenDeutscherKatalytiker 12th–14th March 2015, Weimar, GERMANY.
- Julia Schumann, MaikEichelbaum, Thomas Lunkenbein, Nygil Thomas, Robert Schlögl, Malte Behrens, Investigating the effect of different promoters in doped ZnO supports on Cu/ZnO catalysts for methanol synthesis, Poster and Abstract for the 3rd Ertl Symposium09-12 November 2014 in Berlin, GERMANY
- Julia Schumann, Maik Eichelbaum, Andrey Tarasov, Nygil Thomas, Thomas Lunkenbein, Elias Frei,Malte Behrens, Robert Schlögl “The role of the Al promoter in Cu/ZnO based catalysts” 18th–25th January 2015, 3rdInternational Symposium on Chemistry for Energy Conversion Storage, Berlin, GERMANY.
- Jasmine Thomas, Nygil Thomas, Malte Behrens, Synthesis Of Cobalt Ferrite Nanoparticles And Its Application In CO Oxidation, 18th–25th January 2015, 3rdInternational Symposium on Chemistry for Energy Conversion Storage, Berlin,
- Shimna T, Jasmine Thomas, Tony Thomas, Sudheesh, V. D, Nygil Thomas, Solution Combustion Synthesis of NiO Nanoparticles for the Development of Advanced Electrochemical Sensor for Dopamine Detection, International Conference on Advances in Functional Materials, January 6-8, 2017 at Anna University, Chennai, India (ISBN No. 978-93-80366-35-7)
Papers presented in National Seminars
- Jasmine Thomas, Nygil Thomas, “Green Synthesis and Characterization of Cobalt Ferrite (CoFe2O4) Nanoparticles”7th and 8th January 2016 at Devamatha College, Kottayam, Kerala.
- Jasmine Thomas, Nygil Thomas, JithinP.V, SudheeshV.D, “Microwave Assisted Solution Combustion Synthesis of CaZrO3”1st and 2nd October 2015 at Nirmalagiri College, Kannur, Kerala.
- Jithin P.V, Roona N, Anu Thomas, Nygil Thomas, SudheeshV.D, V. Sebastian, “Structural and Magnetic Properties of Spinel Ferrite MFe2O4 (M= Co, Mg, Ni) Prepared by Solution Combustion Method” National Conference on Advanced Nanomaterials on 1st and 2nd October 2015 at Nirmalagiri College, Kannur, Kerala.
- Massué, K. Mette, Nygil Thomas, C. Rajan, A. Bergmann, P. Strasser, M. Behrens, R. Schlögl, “Manganese Oxide Materials as Oxygen Evolution Catalysts” Evaluation Meeting at AC November 2013, FHI, Berlin, GERMANY.
- Schumann, S. Zander, Nygil Thomas, A. Tarasov, T. Lunkenbein, S. Wrabetz,
J. Kröhnert, D. Teschner, F. Studt, J. Nørskov, M. Behrens, R. Schlögl, “The Hydrogenation of COx to Methanol on Cu-based Catalysts” Evaluation Meeting at AC November 2013, FHI, Berlin, GERMANY.
- Nygil Thomas, Michael Rajamathi, “Competitive intercalation of inorganic anions in different layered double hydroxides”National Conference on Chemistry: Challenges and Opportunities – NCCCO–2012; 16–18th February 2012, Department of chemistry, St. Josephs College, Bangalore, India.
- Nygil Thomas, Malte Behrens, SevilayCosgun, Alexander Schmidt, Martin Lerch, “Surface Modification of TaON/Doped TaON Semiconductor Materials with Manganese Oxides for Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting”,3rd and 4th September 2014, Recent Trends in Medicinal Chemistry, Jyoti Nivas College, Autonmous, Bangalore.
- Jasmine Thomas, Nygil Thomas, Malte Behrens, Synthesis and Characterization of Cobalt Ferrite Nanoparticles” 6th and 7th October 2014, “Towards a Greener and Cleaner Environment”, Nirmalagiri College, Kannur.
- Avis TresaBabu, Nygil Thomas and M.C Mary, Biosorption Potential of Different Biomasses as a Low-Cost Adsorbent in Recovery of Heavy Metals 6th and 7th October 2014, “Towards a Greener and Cleaner Environment”, Nirmalagiri College, Kannur.
- Nygil Thomas, Malte Behrens, SevilayCosgun, Alexander Schmidt, Martin Lerch, “Surface Modification of TaON/Doped TaON Semiconductor Materials with Manganese Oxides for Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting”, 6th and 7th October 2014, “Towards a Greener and Cleaner Environment”, Nirmalagiri College, Kannur.
“Electrochemical Investigation of Mercury (II) at Modified Carbon Paste Electrodes for the Development of Electrochemical Sensor” (UGC Minor Project, 2016, 4.9 L)
- “Beyond Oil and Gas: Methanol Economy for Future Energy Challenge; Advance Topics in Chemistry, UGC Sponsored National Seminar, St. Joseph’s College, Devagiri, Kozhikode, 20th February 2017.
- “Nanotechnology” A seminar series held at 28th January, Department of Chemistry, S N College, Vatakara, 28th January 2017.
- “Opportunities for Chemistry graduates” A special lecture during chemstorm 28th September 2016, Department of Chemistry, WMO Panamaram, Wayanad
- UGC sponsored National Seminar On “Recent Trends in Catalysis” 7 and 8th January 2016, Department of Chemistry, Deva Matha College, Kuravilangad, Kottayam
- UGC Sponsored National Seminar On Recent Progresses and Challenges in Chemistry (RCPC-2015), P G and Research Dept. of Chemistry, Govt. College, Kasaragod 7 and 8th December 2015
- “Higher Education Opportunities in India and Abroad” 2nd February 2015, WMOKoolivayal, Wayanad.
- UGC sponsored program, “Higher Education Opportunities in India and Abroad” 11th July 2014, PRNSS College Mattannur.
- Invited Oral Presentation Judge, “3rd and 4th September 2014, Recent Trends in Medicinal Chemistry, Jyoti Nivas College, Autonmous, Bangalore.
Guided independently six post-graduate interns and 20 graduates to carry out projects. Some of the projects are given below
- Co-precipitation of copper sulphide nanoparticles-Shibila
- Effects of precursors and capping agents on the co-precipitation of zinc sulphide nanoparticles- Jincy K. P
- Intercalation and interlayer oxidation of nitrite ion in layered double hydroxides – Pradeep Kumar.
- Anion exchange reactions of Layered Double Hydroxides –
- Synthesis and anion exchange reaction of Zinc-Iron Layered Double Hydroxides – Supreeth Naidu.
- Synthesis and anion exchange reaction of Ni, Cu, Zn layered hydroxy salts- Swathi Krishna
Symposia/Conference/Workshop/Industrial Visit Conducted/ Attended
- Capacity Building Workshop for WWS Coordinators, Department of Higher Education, Loyola College, Trivandrum Dec 8 & 9, 2016.
- Capacity Building Workshop For Internal Mentors/Coordinators, Walk With a Scholar Program, S. N College, Kannur, January 30th, 2015.
- Refresher Course in Recent Advances in Chemistry Conducted by Indian Science Academies, B.I.T. Mesra (Deoghar Campus) at Deoghar, Jharkhand. December 14-26, 2015.
- Workshop for College Chemistry Students and Teachers, Hotel Residency Tower, Trivandrum, October 15-17, 2015 Organized by JNCASR and FCBS.
- Industry-Academic Meeting Organized by Biocon, Malaysia, 2014.
- National Conference on Materials Science and Technology-2014, Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvanathapuram, IIST, July 28-30, 2014.
- National Seminar on Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis, Govt. Brennen College, 2014.
- 125 Years of AngewandteChemie Physical symposium held in the Henry Ford Building of Freie Universität Berlin, Germany, 2013.
- Winter School at JNCASR, Bangalore from 5th to 10th December, 2012.
- 10th CRSI National Symposium in Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 2008.
- International Conference on Advanced Materials, M. G. University, Kottayam, India, 2008.
- Acquity and Nano Acquity UPLC and UPLC/MS System solutions by Waters, 2007.
- Seminar on “Fast HPLC” by Dr. Ron Majors, 2007.
- Chromatography workshop organized Perklin Elmer, 2007.
- LC/GC Chromatography solutions organized by Waters Corporation, 2006.
- 17th National Symposium on Catalysis and Separation Science Organized by the Catalysis Society of India and CSMCRI, Gujarat, 2005.
- Seminar on Synthetic and Natural Drugs and their application Organized by NMKRV College, 2005.
Refresher/ Orientation Programmes Attended
- Orientation Program from 13/01/2016 to 11/02/2016, Kannur University, Kannur
Awards / Fellowships / Grants / Certificates
- PP Krishnan Nambiar Trust Facilitation, 2015.
- Shortlisted for the RISE (Research Internship in Science and Engineering) award for doing internship in USA (2009).
- 1st prize in the intercollegiate ‘Lecture contest’ held in St. Joseph’s College (2005).
- Volunteer of National Service Scheme (NSS), Bangalore University, 2001-2003.
- Best outgoing Volunteer for Centre for Social Action (CSA) during the year 2002-2003.
- Member of Centre for Social Action (CSA), A Community Development Initiative 2001-2003.
- 1st prize for ‘Hobby Collection’ in the intercollegiate fest ‘Communiquere’ 2001 and 2002.
- 1st prize in Photography in the intercollegiate Cultural festival ‘Inbloom 2002’
- Elsevier Recognized Reviewer Status (Material Research Bulletin), American Chemical Society (Inorganic Chemistry, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research)
Independent Programmes / Committees
- FIST (Fund for Improvement of S&T infrastructure in universities & higher educational institutions) Coordinator, Nirmalagiri College, 2016
- SARD (Selective Augumentation of Research and Development) Coordinator, Department of Chemistry, Nirmalagiri College, 2016
- Convener of the Walk With a Scholar program, Nirmalagiri College, 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Convener of the National Seminar on Recent Trends in Chemistry, Nirmalagiri College, 2014.
- Setter, Board of Question Papers Setters, University of Kerala, TVM
- Member of Several Committees
- Research Consultant
- Packages familiar with: MS Office, FullProf suite, TOPAS, DiffaX, Origin Pro, Diamond, ISIS Draw, ChemDraw, and Proszk
Experience in independently handling the following instruments
- X-Ray Diffractometer (Philips X’Pert Pro, Rigaku and Brucker)
- Infrared spectrometer (Thermo Nicolet IR200, Agilent)
- ATR (Agilent)
- Atomic Absorption Spectrometer (Varian AA280 and Shimastu)
- Ion Chromatograph (Metrohm)
- Gas Chromatograph (Agilent, and Waters)
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (Agilent, Waters and Jasco)
- TGA (Perklin Elmer)
- DSC (Thermo Corporation)
- Methanol Synthesis Reactor (Catalysis Reactor)
- Lab Max
- Thermo Balance
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (JEOL)
- Trasmission Electron Microscopy (Titan)
- Nitrogen Physisorption
- Glove Box
- pH meter
- Zeta Potential Analyzer
- Chemi Link Electrochemical System
Sex : Male
Date of birth : 15th October 1982
Father’s name : C. S. Thomas
Mother’s name : Cicily K. A
Nationality : Indian
Passport No : J1896532
Marital status : Married
Languages Known: Read/ Write/ Speak
- English, Malayalam, Kannada (speak)
- Traveling, Photography and Philately.
- Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Karnataka,Madhya Pradesh,Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Sikkim,Tamil Nadu, West Bengal
- USA, Germany, Italy, Vatican, Belgium, France, Maldives, Malaysia, Switzerland, Netherlands, UAE, Oman, England, Singapore, Luxemburg, Turkey, Nepal and Thailand.
- House No 1, VPS Nagar, Nirmalagiri, 670701