The Department of Zoology started functioning in 1964 with classes for the erstwhile pre-degree biology students. The B.Sc. Zoology course started in 1967. The department offers courses on different aspects of Zoology for core and complementary students..
The department has a library with more than 1500 books and a state-of-the art zoological museum with specimens, bones and fossils from different taxa of the animal kingdom. Since the inception of Kannur University our students were in the focus by securing ranks in the final year examinations, and after the grading system was introduced, our students always get high grades. The alumni of the department routinely get selected for post-graduate courses in top universities and spread the tradition of this department.
Presently the department has two major research project running and has already completed various research projects and programmes.
- Qualified faculty
- Well-equipped laboratory with various instruments
- Rich collection of specimens in museum
- Library with well-furnished reading room
- Two research labs
- Frequent visit by eminent persons in biology
- Continuous track record of workshops and seminars
- Special coaching for PG entrances in life sciences
- Bio auditing within the campus