A Brief History of the College

Nirmalagiri College, a minority institution under the Archdiocese of Thalassery, was established on 13th May 1964 by H.E. Mar Sebastian Valloppilly, the first Bishop of Thalassery Diocese. The college is situated at Nirmalagiri near Kuthuparamba, 20 Km North - East of Thalassery, alongside the Thalassery - Mysore inter-state highway and 15 Km away from Kannur International Airport. The founding of the college was in tune with the vision and objectives spelt out in the Memorandum of Association of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tellicherry registered as S. No. 12 of 1954 dated 04.11.54 under Societies Registration Act (Act XXI of 1860). The Archdiocese of Thalassery has succeeded in establishing a large number of educational and charitable institutions in Malabar for the benefit of the society. There are 23 L. P. schools, 30 U. P. schools, 24 High Schools, 14 Higher Secondary Schools and an Engineering College under the Diocese.

Since 1940, there occurred a substantial migration from Travancore to Malabar and the post - Second World War economic scenario hastened the exodus. The new migrant community, most of them Christians, spread over the entire region of South and North Malabar, though pioneers of an agrarian revolution, was deprived of basic and higher educational facilities. Even in the midst of blood, sweat and tears, the the migrant population craved educational institutions. It was at that historic juncture that Mar Sebastian Valloppilly, a dynamic missionary and a motivated visionary, a true Gandhian and a patriot, bravely came forward to establish the College. The main objective of Nirmalagiri College, a lamp lit on the mountain, was to radiate the light of knowledge and wisdom. When the college was established, it was the only Christian higher education centre in the whole of North Malabar, spread over the districts of Kannur, Kasaragod and Wayanad.

Milestones on the Path of Progress

1964: The College was established on 13th May 1964 by H.E. Mar Sebastian Valloppilly, the first Bishop of Thalassery Diocese. Started functioning as a junior college under Kerala University with 397 students, 11 teachers and 5 administrative staff. Rev. Dr. Antony Kurialacherry assumed office as the first Principal.

1967: Degree courses commenced in Mathematics, Zoology, Chemistry and Economics.

1968: The College got affiliated to Calicut University.

1970: The main academic block got blessed by H.B. Mar Joseph Parecattil, the second Cardinal of the Christian Church in India.

1971: Degree courses commenced in Home Science.

1979: Degree courses commenced in Physics.

1980: Degree courses commenced in Botany.

1989: Mar George Valiamattam became the Patron of the college, following the retirement of H.E. Mar Sebastian Valloppilly. Central library was built.

1993: Degree course commenced in English. Started welfare centre for providing counseling and medical services for students and recreational facilities for staff.

1995: PG Degree course in Economics began.

1996: The college got affiliated to Kannur University.

1998: Degree course commenced in History.

1999: PG course commenced in Physics.

2001: Degree course commenced in Malayalam.

2003: IRISH began as an academic offshoot of the college.

2004: College became the first accredited college under Kannur University by NAAC with B++ level.

2011: NAAC re-accredited the college with A Grade.

2012: Acquired minority status on religious basis from Govt. of India. Research centre in Chemistry began.

2013: The College celebrated its Golden Jubilee. Degree programme in Commerce and PG programme in Chemistry began.

2014: Mar George Njralakatt assumed charge as the Patron of the college, following the retirement of Mar George Valiamattam.

2015: Fund for Improvement of Science & Technology Infrastructure (FIST) was sanctioned by Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India.

2017: NAAC re-accredited the college with A Grade in the third accreditation cycle.

2018: The College was ranked 87th in the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF).

2018: College has obtained grant from Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) for infrastructure development.

2018: The College was selected for the scheme – Selective Augmentation of Research and Development (SARD) by Kerala State Council for Science, Technology and Environment (KSCSTE).

2019: The College was ranked 93rd in the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF).

2019: DBT - STAR College scheme for strengthening of life science and biotechnology education and training at undergraduate level - fund was sanctioned by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India.